Two brush fires have broken out in the Ventura County area prompting the closure of the 101 freeway. The larger of the two broke out only a few miles from the scene of the fatal Borderline Bar and Grill mass shooting. ABC7 reports that structures can be seen burning from the air.
Authorities have reported that mandatory evacuations have been issued for Cal State Channel Islands and the Camarillo Springs and Dos Vientos areas.
So far, the fire has spread to nearly 10,000 acres and injured five people so far. The 101 freeway is under closure from orchard Road to Pleasant Valley Road, in both directions.
Fire officials warn of "extreme" conditions that could cause the blaze to spread even farther in the next 24 hours as-as strong Santa Ana winds drive the flames.
According to the Ventura County Emergency Information website, evacuations and closures have been issued for the following areas:
- Bell Canyon – Saddlebow Rd. between Maverick Ln. and Morgan Rd.
- Camarillo Springs – All areas
- Vallecito Trailer Park – All areas
- California State University Channel Islands – All areas
- Entire Dos Vientos – All areas outlined on map below
- Point Magu Naval Base
- 101 Borchard Road to Pleasant Valley Road / Santa Rosa Road in both directions.
Evacuation centers can be Located at the following:
- Borchard Community Center – 190 Reino Road. Newbury Park, CA 91320
- Camarillo Community Center – 1605 East Burnley St. Camarillo, CA 93010
- Rancho Santa Susana Recreation Center – 5005 Unit C Los Angeles Ave. Simi Valley, CA 93063
The smaller fire, dubbed the "Woolsey Fire," has now spread to 750 acres, ABC7 reports. The fire is burning in Simi Valley near the Rocketdyne facility in the Santa Susana Pass.
This is a developing story. Please check back for the latest updates.