L.A. County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk, Dean Logan joined KFI's Tim Conway Jr. Show to discuss new ballot marking devices making it a much smoother process for people to get their voices heard. The device, called the "Voting Solutions for All People," or VSAP is intended to make voting a much more transparent process.
"We've been voting the same way in LA County for the last 50, close to 60 years and it's time for a reboot. It's time to make it resemble more the way that we live our day to day lives," Logan said.
No longer will people be required to pick up a paper ballot and fill in all of the answers. The new is guaranteed to be much easier.
"The beautiful thing about this new system is not only is the equipment better, but you can vote anywhere in the county. You don't have to go to any specific location. You can go to any vote center in the county over an 11 day period."
The new system wishes to meet people where they are at and not rely on a sole specified voting day schedule. Logan explains that a 1-day schedule is just not practical anymore in this day and age.
Reminiscing on time he went to vote in Burbank years ago, Conway recalled ending his search for a ballot in English after learning they were all stolen.
"We live in a county that's richly diverse and we are required under the Federal Voting Rights Act to have our ballots available in multiple languages."
The new device allows you to customize that. You can pick any language on the device. You can toggle back and forth (jumping from English to another language).
If you chose to listen to the device in Spanish, and would prefer to read in English then you can definitely do that as well.
The VSAP ballot marking device is not only limited to the November elections. You can see them even during the March presidential primary election as well.
At the end of the month on Saturday, September 28, and Sunday, September 29, LA County Registrar of Voters will be hosting a fun mock election giving people a chance to experience the new devices. The mock elections will also give users a chance to prep before the elections.
Your favorite iHeart talent will be there hosting the mock elections and helping you learn how to use the new voting devices! You'll also have the chance to hang out with surprise celebrities, check out some great food trucks and even have the chance to win some amazing L.A. experiences such as: tickets to professional sports games, amusement parks, celebrity meet and greets and a whole lot more!
Saturday, September 28th
- 102.7 KIIS FM host JoJo Wright will be out at the Van Nuys Sherman Oaks Recreation Center from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. "Pinch of Flavor" food truck will be out there as well to help feed you while you work up an appetite voting in the mock election.
- 104.3 MyFM's Nina Chantele will be out at the Carson Community Center between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. with the food truck, "The Fat Queso" serving up delightful treats.
- KOST 103.5's Ryan Manno will be hosting an event at the College of the Canyons between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. while the food truck, "Spyros Gyros" will be there.
- AM 570 LA Sports' very own Money and Tim Cates will be hosting one of the mock election events at Pan America Park between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. Food truck Sabores de Mexico will also be there with food.
- From Alt 98.7, Menace and Greg from The Woody Show is also hosting an event at Salazar Park from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. with food truck "Meat the Greek" serving food.
Sunday, September 29th
- 102.7 KIIS FM host EJ will be at Salazar Park between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. The food truck "Doughnuts & Fried Chicken" will be there as well.
- 104.3 MyFM's Dave Styles will be hosting an event at the Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks Recreation Center between 2 and 4 p.m. with the food truck, "Comet BBQ" there.
- KOST 103.5's Ryan Manno will be out at the College of the Canyons between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. with "The Fat Queso" food truck providing meals.
- AM 570 LA Sports hosts Money & Tim Cates will be at the Carson Community Center between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. with the food truck "Spyros Gyros" there as well.
- Finally, Alt 98.7's Ravey and Cameron of The Woody Show will be at Pan America Park between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. with food truck "Sabores de Mexico" there.